MANG D0010 - Identifying and Addressing Racial Micro-aggressions in the Workplace
The microaggressions that people of color experience can make the workplace challenging at best, and hostile at worst. The goal of this workshop is to bring awareness to the various types of microaggressions that show up in an organization and how they can negatively influence productivity and morale. Participants will learn through open dialogue, examples, and visual aids. By the end of the course, you will be able to identify the meaning of micro-aggressive behaviors, micro-aggressive behaviors in daily interactions, and locate sources of microaggressions. Most importantly, you will be able to use practical tips for overcoming the hurdles of microaggression. Obtain the crucial tips and tools for ending speech and behaviors that result in microaggression.
Notice: Per City guidelines, masking will be strongly recommended but not mandatory. Wearing a high-quality mask such as KN95 or N95 mask, or double masking, is strongly encouraged. It is important to wear a mask that is well-fitted. For information on proper masking, including how to double mask, please read this guidance from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/effective-masks.html
Course Outline• Defining Micro-aggressions: examples, articles and discussion
• Sources of Micro-aggressions
• Foundational behaviors that unintentionally/intentionally lead to racist behavior
• Tips and tools for ending speech and behavior that results in micro –aggressions
• Understanding various perspectives, forgiving, and healing
Learner OutcomesUpon completion of this workshop participants will be familiar with:
1. Define Micro Aggressions
2. Name the Source of Micro Aggressions
3. Define Internalized Racism and how to recognize its occurrence
4. Tips for overcoming hurdles to use of micro-aggressions
Handouts provided by instructor.