Are your communication skills keeping up with society’s evolving demographic? Your practice may depend on your ability to know your audience. Our multi-cultural society demands that we internally brainstorm before speaking, to meet the goal of transmitting information that is mutually beneficial for both you and your client. Gain an overview of the growing cultural variety in Philadelphia, and surrounding counties. Emphasis is placed on practical and theoretical skills that businesses need to serve these communities. The workshop illustrates ways in which businesses can encourage and develop culturally sensitive staff. Participants develop relevant ways to communicate effectively with diverse populations to deliver world-class customer service.
Notice: Per City guidelines, masking will be strongly recommended but not mandatory. Wearing a high-quality mask such as KN95 or N95 mask, or double masking, is strongly encouraged. It is important to wear a mask that is well-fitted. For information on proper masking, including how to double mask, please read this guidance from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/effective-masks.html.
Course Outline• Cultural Competency Self-Assessment
• Culture Defined
• Assumptions that drive cultural competency
• Components of Culturally Competent Customer Service
• The Importance of Cultural Competence
• Strategies for Reduction of Cultural Competency Errors
• Effective Communication
• Understanding Cultural Influence
• Influence of Specific Cultural Beliefs
• Barriers to Cultural Competence: Stereotypes and Generalizations
• Creating a Personal Action Plan to Improve Cultural Competence
Learner OutcomesUpon completion of this workshop participants will be familiar with how to:
• Define culture and cultural competence
• List characteristics of cultural competency
• Identify personal biases or prejudices that may affect interaction with culturally diverse groups
• Connect components of cultural competence communication
• Identify how cultural differences affect business
• Develop a strategy for Reduction of Cultural Competency Errors
Handouts provided by instructor.