While diversity refers to increasing numbers of minorities, inclusion is about cultivating and sustaining a climate that is welcoming and safe for those minorities. Diversity without inclusion is a short-sighted strategy and will not help build a sustainable, diverse workforce. It is important for participants to emphasize that brave discomfort is necessary for cognitive growth. Learn how to foster participation and inclusion in your work environment. Participants will see themselves as agents of change and a crucial part of cultivating a workspace that is culturally competent and responsive. Contextualize inclusion as an integral strain of diversity work by focusing on key approaches, strategies, activities and data to foster optimum participant engagement. By the conclusion of this workshop, you will be able to determine key diversity terms, understand the importance and economic impact of inclusion, and identify characteristics of an inclusive workplace.
Notice: Per City guidelines, masking will be strongly recommended but not mandatory. Wearing a high-quality mask such as KN95 or N95 mask, or double masking, is strongly encouraged. It is important to wear a mask that is well-fitted. For information on proper masking, including how to double mask, please read this guidance from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/effective-masks.html.
Course Outline1. Ice Breaker to build rapport and provide rules of engagement
2. Glossary and reflection question
3. What is inclusion versus diversity?
4. The importance of inclusive workspaces
5. Case study, scenario and reflection question
6. How to achieve inclusion in the workplace
7. Inclusion checklist- barriers to inclusion
8. Identifying signs of non inclusion
Student Learning Outcome(s):
Upon completion of this workshop participants will be familiar with:
• Key diversity terms
• Definition of inclusion
• Difference between inclusion vs. diversity
• Importance of inclusion
• The economic impact of inclusion
• The characteristics of an inclusive workplace
• Adaptive behaviors for inclusivity
Handouts provided by instructor.