Course DescriptionEmotional intelligence, also called EQ, is the ability to be aware of and to manage emotions and relationships. It’s a pivotal factor in personal and professional success. IQ will get you in the door, but it is your EQ, your ability to connect with others and manage the emotions of yourself and others, that will determine how successful you are in life. When we look at the truly extraordinary people who inspire and make a difference you will see that they do this by connecting with people at a personal and emotional level. What differentiated them was not their IQ but their EQ – their emotional intelligence. This one day workshop will focus on the history of emotional intelligence, optimism, personal vision and values, and validating emotions in others. Participants will learn techniques to understand, use, and appreciate the role of emotional intelligence in the workplace.
Introduction and Course Overview
- Participants will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
History of Emotional Intelligence
- Milestones and important people who have contributed to the world of emotional intelligence.
Emotional Intelligence Defined
- Definitions of emotional intelligence.
- Skills and concepts behind identifying emotions, understanding and managing emotions, and using and communicating emotions.
- The basics of optimism and how it differs from pessimism.
Validating Emotions in Others
- Two models to validate emotions in others.
- The seven primary human emotions.
Setting Your Personal Vision
Participants explore their own emotions by looking at their principles, values, strengths, talents, potential obstacles, and relationships.
At the end of the workshop, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
Learner Outcomes• Understand what emotional intelligence means
• Recognize how our emotional health and physical health are related
• Learn techniques to understand, use, and appreciate the role of emotional intelligence in the workplace
• Understand the different emotions and how to manage them
• Create a personal vision statement
• Understand the difference between optimism and pessimism
• Validate emotions in others
Handouts will be provided by the instructor.